Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Final Thoughts Before Toronto

I figured that the next three days will be a veritable madhouse as I try to solve many of life's tough travel-questions. Will Canada accept me? How many socks is too many socks? Since I'm driving, do I REALLY need to pack a suitcase, or can I just throw everything in my car? Wait, did I remember socks?

So I decided to go ahead and put down some final thoughts on what I hope to get out of this workshop, my goals for the trip, and what I'm excited about learning and experiencing.

First of all, for anyone just tuning in, I'm going to Toronto for the Imaginism Studios In-House Workshop. Only 4 artists from all over the world were chosen for this workshop, and we're only the second group to go through it. It will consist of drawing, painting, and learning in an intensely productive environment from Thierry Lafontaine, Bobby Chiu, Kei Acedera and others about how they make the work that has made them so successful, and how to become better at what it is that I do.

Of course, primarily, I just want to come away a better artist. I want to have more focus in my work, find new ways to use my imagination, and some new skills to accompany that.

I also want to have an actual strategy for getting my work out to the public more effectively and attracting clients in the hopes of one day being a full-time artist.

I am excited about the RARE opportunity to completely devote a month to my art, I'm already used to 16 hour days (split between work and art, almost every day is this for me!), but for them to be filled with art is a rare blessing.

I am excited about soaking up the energy Thierry Lafontaine, Bobby Chiu, Kei Acedera, and the rest of the Imaginism crew will be exuding. It has always been a huge curiosity of mine - the day-to-day lifestyles of these powerhouse creators, what makes them tick, how they conduct their day-to-day business, etc. and to glean any small bits of wisdom from that will definitely improve my life.

I am excited about seeing what their process is like as they work on their own projects. Getting to watch the teacher at work on something more than just a demonstration is sometimes more insightful than any teaching could be.

I can't wait to meet my fellow classmates. I have a strong feeling that after a month of interaction, we will be life-long friends that will continue to encourage each other for years to come. I hope to be challenged by them, and I hope to challenge them in turn.

I want to make this a longer list, but I feel like these broad strokes are all that I can really define at this point. There's really no need to get more specific. At this point, I'm truly excited and ready to give my brain over to the experts, let them tinker with it, and take it back home with me after the workshop and make them proud.

I am proud of the person I am, that I was able to accomplish this with the support of friends and fans of my art. When I initially looked at the application, I disregarded it as something I was not in a position to do with my life. Now, six months later, I'm packing my bags. It is absolutely unbelievable what you can do when you just make up your mind and set a goal.

I'm already a better artist than I was when I applied. The process of fund-raising for the trip and trying to be as sharp as possible has really paid off. I've made some of my best work in the last few weeks, and I couldn't be more grateful to arrive as a sharp artist, ready for whatever Imaginism throws at me.

More than anything, I've just been inspired by the fact that this workshop exists. The fact that Imaginism took the time to say "hey....we should do this." and put in all of the work to make it happen is simply astounding. We are lucky to have such generous artists in the world.

1 comment:

Brandon Kallmes said...

Well said Matt! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work as you progress through the workshop.